Thursday, November 20, 2008

Starting from scratch

Being able to design my own world, with its own rules, mythology, creatures, races, magic, technology, religion(s), geography, history is, to me as a creator/ writer, one of the most appealing (and daunting) aspects of working in the fantasy genre. The idea for Enshae: Phayrie Dawn came to me on 29 October, so I have been at this for just over three weeks now and my ethusiasm for this project is only growing.

Still, I am taking this slowly, building idea upon idea as I try to form a picture in my mind of the world these creatures live in. Now, I haven't invented fairies (or as I call them phayries) and many of the creatures that live on this world are inspired by sci-fi/ fantasy staples. But, I am seeking to put my own spin on these traditional beings so that they seem somehow new and alien at the same time as being somewhat familiar.

At the moment, I am juggling two main threads of creating the world of Enshae: Phayrie Dawn: designing the creatures that inhabit this world and the technology they use to get through life, move around their world, store and access knowledge and fight for survival. Again, I am trying to put my own twist on typical sci-fi/ fantasy elements here and so far I feel I have come up with some unique angles.

What I am enjoying the most about this is that I feel as though I am an explorer wandering through some undiscovered country in another world, unearthing its origins and secrets. I intend to tell a number of stories in this world: some will be in the form of novels, some in the form of comic book stories, some as short prose stories. Creating this type of 'world bible' will allow me to draw on ideas and inspirations for countless stories set in the Enshae world.

At this stage, I am so in love with the concepts and the world that I am building that I want to do this forever. I want to explore and write about the history of these beings, their stories and struggles from the creation of their world to its end. There is no limit to what I can do in their world, because I created it. That is just part of the fun that comes with getting to know the phayries that live in my mind.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home