Sunday, November 16, 2008

A Foundation

The weekend is almost up, but I did get to put in an hour or so on this project today. All in all, I'll take that as a win. Right now I am deeply embedded in creating a new world. Like most aspiring fantasy writers, I have read a lot of the great modern masters of fantasy from Tolkein, to Eddings, to Jordan, to Williams... I have previously written a fantasy manuscript that was to be part one of a trilogy. I did finish the first book and the story was heavily influenced by many of those previously mentioned writers, especially the late Robert Jordan and Tad Williams. I did start the second book, but never finished it. That story lacked a strong, unique voice.

This time around, I have to be honest and say that it is years since I finished reading a fantasy novel/ series and I don't feel as though those stories have much, if any, influence on what I want to write in 2008/ 2009. This time, I am deliberately avoiding those writers who have had immense influence on me as I try to come up with what I hope is a unique vision.

Which is really why I am trying to put so much time into world building on this one, before I even come up with key characters. On my previous novel, I came up with the characters first and a loose idea of the plot, and then I just started creating the world and writing the story concurrently. This time around, I really want to understand the characters and their world before I even begin to craft their story. With a different approach, I hope I can come up with, and execute, a more unique vision.

I don't tend to tightly plot what I write, preferring to see where the story takes me as I write it. This time, I want to have a tighter reign on things as I have a fairly clear idea of the story that I want to tell. This time, I plan to work more closely from a plan. Really, that isn't my style either with stories in prose or comic book format so, if anything, it will be an interesting process with (hopefully) interesting and rewarding results.

I haven't got a time table that I am working to, but I feel I need to put quite a few months into planning before I start writing.

I hope to update this blog at least twice a week; that should keep me motivated to keep working on this project. Without doing any work, I won't have any updates for you.

Lastly, a shout out to a friend of mine and comic book creator/ writer/ artist/ publisher Tyler James. We had a good chat via email this week and he gave me a great idea on how I can link my desire to write prose with my aim to keep up some contacts in the comic book community. Also, I find Ty and his commitment to comics and creativity inspiring, so you should check his work out when you can.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home