Wednesday, November 12, 2008

First light or a Genesis of sorts...

Welcome to the home of my new writing project, Enshae: Phayrie Dawn, a novel that will chronicle the creation of the phayrie universe. The last time I put finger to keyboard on a fiction manuscript was more than eight years ago. I have spent the better part of almost a decade seeking to tell stories in the comic book medium and have little to show for my efforts. As a creative outlet, writing prose was my first love and my head is spinning with the rush of our reunion.

My return has been greeted with personal euphoria as I nestle into the comfortingly familiar territory of building a new world. Previous worlds that I have created were more of an amalgam of other fantasy worlds I enjoyed, rather than my own creation. While, this is predominantly the style of writing I prefer to explore, I have largely lost the deep-felt love I once felt for fantasy fiction literature. More than six years have passed since I last completed reading a fantasy series. In the intervening time I have stopped and started reading new series, but never completed them. I am currently failing in my second attempt to read the first book of The Golden Compass trilogy. I blame my love of comic books as a story telling medium, and a lack of time, for killing my love of novels.

However, I now find myself with a waning interest in comic books (after a 15 year love affair) so it seems only natural to feel the nostalgic pull of fantasy fiction tugging at the creative parts of my soul.

So, here I am embarking on a new creative adventure; a novel about the evolution of phayries. Now, I am not talking about Tinkerbell or garden gnomes here. I am talking about beings that are masters of the greatest magic in all of time and space. I am discovering the lives and times of the first beings in all of creation; the phayrie.

At this time, I am a tentative explorer who has only taken the first hesitant steps into a new universe. I won't be using this blog to reveal major parts of the story, but this site will become a chronicle of my time exploring a new creative dawn.

Before I wrap this post, a clarification. While this blog will chronicle the creative process of creating the world of Enshae: Phayrie Dawn, key elements of plot, character and world building will not be explored; for obvious reasons.

2 Comments:

Blogger Brant W. Fowler said...

Best of luck with this, man. Sounds like you have a real passion for this story, and I hope you're able to bring that to fruition. I'll be watching!

November 12, 2008 10:52 PM  
Blogger Jason Berek-Lewis said...

It's about time I actually finished something I started - isn't it?

Thanks for being there!

November 13, 2008 11:10 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home